Monday, November 21, 2011

Tiling and Nesting

The work on the house this week revolved around tile. On Tuesday we grouted the bathroom floor.



At the store, our options were limited for grout colors in non-sanded so we ended up buying bright white. Of course once we had it finished (and it had cured), we decided that we didn’t like it. So the logical thing to do was to remove it and find some we liked. A word to the wise – if you think you don’t like the grout color, remove it while it’s still easy to remove!


Saturday was spent installing the 12”x12” tiles in the tub surround (notice our lovely shim and tape job to keep everything in place). We didn’t get all finished with it though – there was an exciting football game to watch! Thankfully Penn State won so I was happy the rest of the day (I can’t say the same for Chris!).


Sunday was supposed to be finishing up a lot of the tiling. Unfortunately, we had other things to do. We had to go shopping for grout and other fixtures for the tub surround.

When we got home from shopping, we decided that today was a pretty good day to clean up the leaves in the yard. We are one of the only houses in the neighborhood that does not hire a lawn service so our yard was looking pretty bad. Fortunately, our neighbor across the street had given us his “yard sweeper” before he moved out last year – it is not perfect but it does the job much faster than raking all by hand. Chris also was able to cut the grass (and any small remaining leaves) one more time before the weather turns bad.


After the yard work was taken care of, Chris decided to brew some beer so that it will be ready by Christmas. While he brewed, I was in super-nesting-mode. If this nesting phenomenon continues, we may actually have a half organized, clean house by the time the baby arrives.

Speaking of baby stuff – we went to our first “Prepared Childbirth” class on Monday. They last for 5 weeks for a couple hours each session. It was nice to meet other couples that will have children the same age as ours.

Most people that know I’m pregnant still tell me that I’m carrying very small. At the class, I was definitely the smallest one there (one lady is so big that she looks like she should have given birth 2 months ago!). So far I have gained about 18 pounds and my stomach measurement is right on track. Below you can see the comparison from 8 weeks to 28 weeks – I definitely notice the difference!


I had a few baby related appointments this week – a sonogram, a screening glucose tolerance test, and a midwife appointment. I had to have a second detailed sonogram because the baby’s umbilical cord only has one artery (it’s supposed to have 2). This could cause the baby to be small but at this appointment they determined that the baby was in the 44th percentile for weight at 28 weeks (2 lb. 10 oz.).


They also do a 3-D image of the baby’s face. Our baby was uncooperative and had its hands by its face the whole time. The images seem rather distorted – either that or our baby has enormous lips, a wide nose, and a black eye!



When I went to the midwife, I found out that I failed my glucose tolerance screening test. Now I have to go for the 3 hour test to see if I have gestational diabetes. Before this test they gave me a specific carb rich diet that I have to be on for 3 days beforehand. So now I’m cramming in the carbs for my test on Tuesday. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that I don’t have diabetes!

No comments:

Post a Comment