Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

It's been awhile since I wrote a regular post (plus a lot happened over Christmas) so this is very picture heavy!

In early December we went to the Lisbon Horse Parade.  Samantha absolutely loved it!  There were over 500 horses and they were all dressed up...the nativity, elves, reindeer, Grinch, etc., etc.  She spent the majority of the parade on our shoulders and was laughing and clapping during a lot of it.  I think this will definitely be part of our early Christmas tradition (just like the Saxonburg Light Up Night).





I finished up my cake decorating class by making a sunflower cake.  I don't think it's great but I wouldn't be completely embarrassed serving it to anyone!


We have been working hard to get our bedroom furniture finished (after a long 2 1/2 years in the basement).  We are so close - we may even have furniture in our bedroom by this weekend!

The old finish is very similar in color to our floors and had an 80's speckled finish on it.  So we stripped everything and are re-staining it.  We also hated the hardware so I painted and glazed it - it made a big difference!
 
 



On one of our play dates, Samantha got her picture taken with Santa in his sleigh.  Amy had this sleigh from her wedding and her brother took off work to dress up.  I was so happy that she actually smiled!


Each year before Christmas there is a baking frenzy.  I always make too many and yet each year I seem to make more and more.  I think this year I made eight different cookies (and multiple batches of some).  Next year I'm cutting down - I hope... 


We started our Christmas trip at my parents' house in Pennsylvania.  Samantha really enjoyed feeding their dog her breakfast - and has tried a few times with Tucker at home since.
 

 She was trying to be helpful by checking over Grandma's store list.


We were happy to be able to visit friends that came in from Washington state.  And we got to meet their 2 month old daughter - so cute and tiny!

The Phipps Conservatory had the gardens lit for the holidays so we went down with my extended family.  It was very nice - they had plenty of beautiful trees, outdoor gardens, great music, and a train display.  






Christmas Eve is always spent with my extended family and it rotates houses each year.  This year was at my parents' so we were able to get Samantha to bed at a reasonable hour (although she woke up after midnight when everyone was leaving).  My family spoiled her with so many nice presents.  She doesn't know which ones to play with first!

We normally spent Christmas morning with my family and open the massive mountain of presents that my mom buys each year.  The pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  Of course since Samantha is the first grandchild, she is super spoiled. 

 

Her uncle bought her an enormous stuffed dog - it takes up a majority of the available floor space in the den.


Samantha did a pretty good job of opening her gifts...


...but in the end just wanted to play with all the wrapping paper.


Once we were finished unwrapping presents, we packed up and headed to Columbus to visit with Chris' family.  Our niece, Anna, was very happy to play with Samantha.



And what visit to Columbus would be complete without her first trip to Skyline Chili?  (she just ate crackers and cheese - thankfully!).

 

We spent a couple nights in Columbus (where it snowed a lot!) and then traveled East to Chris' parents' house for another night.  We had a nice time but we got sick and left a little earlier than planned.  

Once we got home, we celebrated our Christmas.  Santa was pretty good to Samantha this year - now we just need to find a place to put all the toys!


Tucker really liked his new bed...after a week of travel he only wants to sleep, sleep, sleep!


Samantha was lacking clean clothes when we got home so Chris dressed her in her warm bear outfit.  It was reminiscent of the "Aunt Clara always gives you the nicest things" moment from "A Christmas Story."


 

 Here are some other shots of Samantha (as if there weren't enough already). 
 



 I'll leave you with the beautiful sunset from our nice, finished deck!



Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment