Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Let There Be Light!

We made some major improvements in the basement this weekend.  My uncle and Chris' parents all came down to help out.  While Samantha played with Nana, Chris and his dad worked on installing some duct work and I helped my uncle install all the electrical. 

It was a long day but we installed all the lights and receptacles.  Some of the biggest areas of improvement were in the stairwell and fireplace.  We needed light in this room and it's so much better now!




My mom came down on Sunday to stay for awhile.  We took advantage of having a babysitter and an extra pair of hands.  Chris and I went to Lowe's to buy a lot of drywall, etc. We also had a lot to do to prepare the ceiling for drywall installation.  We needed to remove all the screws from what held the old drywall in place.  We also had to re-install the furring strips. 

Once we completed that (and Samantha was asleep for the night) we all went to start hanging drywall.  The drywall we're using in the ceiling is 12 foot sheets.  They are heavy and very flexible.  So we had three people and a couple "dead men" (which I mistakenly called "lazy men") to help us hold the drywall in place. 


I must say that I'm pretty impressed with my own measuring and cutting skills to go around obstacles.  We're not like the pros that cut things in place so I have to measure, transfer, and cut - not easy when you have to do it upside-down and backwards!


We only put up 4 sheets of drywall but it's a great start!


Not much news of Samantha this week.  She did get in some laundry basket surfing though!


We plan to hang a lot more drywall this week so hopefully the room will look a lot closer to finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment