Monday, April 16, 2012

Samantha’s Baptism

This was quite a busy week. On Tuesday, Samantha had her two month doctor’s appointment. She weighed in at a hefty 12 lb. 3 oz. and is 22 ¾ inches long (but her leg was bent during the measurement so she may be longer). This puts her around the 75th percentile for both. She is getting so heavy to hold – there is definitely a limit on how much I can handle.

Wednesday was spent waiting for inspectors to show up. I had called all the inspectors a couple weeks ago to figure out how to get the permit time extended for the bathroom work. The plumbing inspector said that what I told him on the phone was a “progress report” and he would extend it three months. The building inspector said he would come out for an “insulation inspection” to extend it six months. The electrical inspector said he could do a “partial final” inspection to extend it six months.

We installed all the electrical items (covers, lights, etc.) and ended up passing the final electrical inspection – one down! The building inspector showed up while I was in the basement doing laundry – he just left the approved sticker and said he didn’t even need to see anything. So now we have three more months before we need another inspection (hopefully it will be much sooner!).

 I went to my New Mom’s Support Group on Thursday (it is becoming my favorite day of the week because I get to see other adults!). The rest of the day was spent going to a dentist appointment, shopping and cooking. Most of the week was spent getting ready for Samantha’s Baptism. There was a lot of de-cluttering, cleaning, de-junking, and cooking.

My parents came down on Friday to help out – it was wonderful to have them here! My mom gave the house the best cleaning since before the baby was born and Dad helped out with yard work (he planted a lot of ornamental grasses to hide our backyard since all the trees are gone).

The county had an event called GreenFest on Saturday. We attended a rain barrel workshop and got two rain barrels (complete with kits to finish them). We now have three barrels that we can put in series and get up to 150 gallons of water each time it rains. It’s a much better way to water the garden and hops!

After church on Sunday morning we did a lot of last minute cleaning and food preparation. Samantha was baptized on Sunday afternoon. We hosted 15 people for lunch before the ceremony and come back for cake afterwards. I may have gone a little overboard with the food but at least nobody left hungry!

There were two other babies being baptized at the same time. Samantha was a little instigator – she started screaming and then the other two babies started crying. Fortunately I think it’s pretty common to have crying babies during baptism because Deacon Ben seemed to be unfazed.

Samantha wore the same gown that my mom and I both wore. Her bonnet was a gift and it does double duty – a bonnet for baptism and a handkerchief when she gets married (many, many years from now!). Samantha’s Godparents are her Uncle Rob and Aunt Paula.

It was great having so much family here – Samantha was definitely spoiled with all the attention and gifts! Here a couple other pictures from her 9th week.

Hopefully we’ll be able to do a lot of bathroom work this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment