Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Porch Progress and Cute Farmer!

There was a little bit more porch progress this week.  Once the paint was removed from the brick, I worked on the porch floor.  The first thing it needed was to have some holes patched.  These large holes were from the original railing (and filled with lead).  The smaller holes were from our temporary railing.  I mixed up some concrete and made it nice and smooth. 


After the patches were cured, I used some muriatic acid to etch the surface.  I followed this with a nice gray porch paint.  It worked really well and didn't even need to be touched up.  It's just nice that it's all one color now - the old surface had so many color variations (rust, grease, adhesive, paint, etc.).



Chris got a little work done on the new railing by installing the posts.  We are using some pressure treated lumber for the posts and then facing them with some nicer, painted wood (like the current posts).  Hopefully we'll be able to finish up the railing this week (if the weather cooperates!).

Samantha and I did some fun things during the week - play dates, picking peaches, etc.  We also got to meet up with Traci, Claire, and her family for lunch (since she lives in Washington state we only get to see her about once a year).  Samantha and I drove over to Hagerstown to see them on their way back from vacation.  It was a great time!

Samantha's favorite for the week was probably the Howard County Fair.  She had so much fun watching all the animals.  Her favorites were the chicks and ducklings.   It was a fun age since she could "moo," "baa," "neigh," "oink," etc. when she saw the different animals.
 


I told Chris when we got back home that instead of a sandbox, she needs a cornbox!  She had so much fun playing in the dried corn - it was hard to get her out of there.


After the experience at the fair, she sat down and put on her muck boots (on the wrong feet but pretty good for 18 months!).   I guess she didn't want to step in any animal poop...


She's become very proficient at the puzzles we own - I think I need to get some different ones for her...


She had her 18 month appointment at the pediatrician yesterday.  She is still a big girl - 34 1/4 inches (98th percentile), 25 lb (79th percentile), and 45.5 cm head circumference (30th percentile).  So she's tall, thin (for her height), and has mommy's pin head!  I compared my height/weight from that age and she has an extra inch and an extra pound and a half (but a smaller head).  I think she's going to end up pretty tall!  The doctor was even surprised that she's been above the 95% curve for so many visits in a row - I guess that's not very common.


She also got two shots and did not make a peep - I was so proud of her!  We also just noticed that tooth number 15 has come in.  Only one more canine and then the two year molars before we get a little break!

Hopefully next week I'll get to show some more porch progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment