Sunday, September 7, 2014

Burning, Painting, Writing, and Flexibility

Due to some good weather, we were able to accomplish a lot this weekend (even if it doesn't look like much).

Saturday morning was spent burning the giant pile of roots from the dirt pile.  It's finally gone but since a lot of the dirt pile is still in place, we will most likely come across more as we move the dirt.

Chris was also able to cut the grass and straighten some small trees that were starting to grow very crooked.

After church on Sunday, I spent the day outside painting with the spray gun.  I started with priming all the materials for the porch railing, continued with staining some of the wicker furniture we got, and finished up with painting the railing materials.




 


While the end result doesn't look like much, it was a lot of work and saved us a lot of time in the long run.  Now we can work on the installing the porch railing - it's only been missing for the past year!

Lately, Samantha has shown an interest in learning a lot of things.  She asks to write letters so she picks a letter and I show her an example.  Then she repeats what I showed her.  I find that she only wants to do about 4 letters before becoming frustrated.  But I think it's pretty good for a 2 1/2 year old!


It always surprises me when Samantha picks up on something I said that I didn't realize at the time.  Lately, Samantha has been using her night prayers as part of her stalling technique.  One night, she was blessing everything in her room ("bless my books, bless my dresser, ...") when she said "bless my breakable."  It took me a second to realize that she was talking about a set of bookends that are in fact breakable.  I guess I never called them by their name but told her not to play with them because "they're breakable."  I really have to watch what I say around this one!

Many of her friends started preschool last week so I've been trying to use Josh's nap time in the morning to do some learning activities with Samantha.  Here are a couple from this week - sensory play with rice and playing with beads. 


When playing with the beads, I put some in a little dish and with no instruction from me at all, she started putting them on the board by sorting by color.  She definitely has some OCD tendencies!



She was upset at the end when she ran out of space for the colors she had left.  But overall, I think it's safe to say that she enjoyed the activity and was very excited about it.


Josh has been teething this week so sleep has been fairly bad.  He's also eating more solid food.  Here's his cute carrot covered face.


He is also very flexible.  I know many babies chew on their toes but Samantha was never able to get her feet up that high.  Josh does this all day and particularly during diaper changes. 


He's now five months old and is growing so quickly. 


Time definitely needs to slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment